Monday, October 11, 2010
THE GOLDEN COMPASS
I had never actually heard of this story or movie and was surprised at how many people in class were familiar with it. I felt like i was missing out on something, and indeed i was. I enjoyed the story as it explored the idea of a parallel universe, and the author gave us the best of both worlds. I liked the details in the story that made things a little more interesting like the gyptians and the daemons, which i liked that they took the form of animals, relating to the idea that everyone has an inner animal. I also liked that the daemons just wandered around and everyone could see them, so essentially no one could hide from their true self. Even though the book was written for a younger age group i still found myself enjoying the story. I liked that rather than being punished for where she was not supposed to be while spying, she saved her uncle from the poison and even allows her to stay and spy on the other attendees of his meeting. I enjoyed being able to imagine what it would be like to live in such a world and would like to see the film to see what differences and similarities there are.