Monday, October 11, 2010
MONSTER ISLAND
I have never really been into zombie novels or movies, and i still am not sure how i feel about the whole genre, but i will say that parts of this novel that i read had me surprised. I liked that it was about survival and had many twists and unexpected turns throughout the story. I liked how Gary was a sort of half human - half zombie and therefor you got a bit of the both worlds with him. I thought it was a good first person zombie narrative of suburban morality. The characters seem to have a go with the flow type of outlook on things, and whatever happened, they were meant to adapt and deal with it. The fact that Gary was a thinking zombie was interesting because he could outsmart situations and adapt in both circumstances. The novel was a sort of survival of the fittest, and with Gary you get to find out first hand what it's like to be a zombie. The characters in the book are forced to not think and to take whatever action necessary to survive, because everything that is happening around them is bigger than them. In fact, nobody really talks about change or making an effort to stop things except for this one guy who started to try to see the bigger picture, which helped for an occasional rise of hope.